“if Facebook was a country, with its 1.11 billion people, it would be the third largest country in the world after China at 1.34 billion people and India at 1.2 billion people”
With any Internet marketing Method including Blogging and marketing your Business on the various Social Media Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, it is very important that you define your Target market.
If you try to market to Everybody, you end up marketing to Nobody.
People Online are very diverse and have different backgrounds, preferences, and lifestyle, therefore, market segmentation is very important.
Your target market will depend much on the products or services that you are selling, so it is very important that you know your products very well as it is your products that will determine the demographic profile of your customers.
Here are 2 Simple ways to help you clarify your target market:
- The simplest one first: If you are already in business, you can apply the Paretto Principle which states that you should identify the top 20% of your key customers who usually are the ones who bring in 80% of your business sales.
This group is your target market and this is the group you want to focus on.
- You should firstly apply the basic demographic profile which includes age, gender, and social or economic status.
The categories under each profile are as follows:
- Age: Does your target market consist of children, teenagers, adults, or senior citizens?
- Gender: Are your target customers male or female?
- Economic Status: Do they belong in the low income, middle income, affluent, or rich group?
- Location: Country, City, Rural areas, etc
These profile or sets of traits should match the characteristics or features of the products or services that you are offering, for example, if you are selling £1000 per pair designer shoes, your target market is probably not people with low income.
You can further differentiate your target markets or narrow them down according to:
- Needs: sense of accomplishments, sense of belonging, self actualization
- Goals: productivity, efficiency, savings, safety
- Temperaments: serious, happy go lucky, complacent
- Fears: old age, poverty, ill health, rejection
- Level of Educational: Not Educated, College Educated, Masters Degree Level, etc
- Family size: Family of 2, 3, 4, 5, etc
The level of target market differentiation you do is dependent on how specialized or customised your product or service is for example, travel or vacation packages, luxury cars, high tech gadgets, etc
Having a clear picture of the common characteristics of your target market will help you determine what to say to your target market and how to say it via the various social media platforms and even blogging.
In conclusion, to make marketing your business on the internet / online effective, you must know your products well and create a profile of your target market based on your products’ characteristics and features. You should then create content that will appeal to your target market and publish it on the various social media platforms including your blog.
Would you like to find more customers and leads via Facebook?
This guide will help you do just that! – www.fbmadesimple.com
Connect with Me on Facebook
Connect with Me on Twitter
Connect with Me on YouTube
Connect with Me on Google+